Skip to main content

Show HN: Ask anyone for book recommendations or give one http://ift.tt/2ryHty5

Show HN: Ask anyone for book recommendations or give one I'm a regular visitor of books-related subs on Reddit and my fomo regarding an excellent book goes out of control whenever I see related threads on HN. I've noticed that a lot of people want book recommendations but they don't want the "best" books in a field. They are looking for something that falls in their area of reading interest and something similar to what they've read earlier and liked. --> In the absence of any context of what a person has been reading, it becomes difficult to recommend a book to him. --> On the other hand, if I know someone likes reading biographies, my first reaction on discovering a great biography is to either message them about the book or try to "sell them the idea" of reading this book. Both the approaches are easily forgotten. So to make asking for book suggestions easy, I've added this feature on ShelfJoy, called Recommend a book. Now, you can simply share your ShelfJoy profile with your friends/with people whose recommendations you trust and ask them to recommend a book to you. Example: I am on a reading challenge in 2017 where I am reading a business biography every month. By sharing my profile here: http://ift.tt/2s6CYxq I can simply ask for recommendations and friends can browse through my reading list, books that I've liked before and recommend me books they think I'll like. My entire recommendations stay at the same place and I can simply shift that book to the books that I've read once I finish it. + I'm looking forward for some feedback on this feature and whether you find it useful. June 4, 2017 at 05:40PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Google Engineer is reviewing all USB Type-C chargers on Amazon to inform customers which ones are safe for use on their devices

The USB Type-C take over has already started, and as this year comes to an end, we expect to see a few more smartphones and tablets hit the market bundling compatibility for the third-generation connection. As it stands, handsets that currently feature Type-C ports only ship with a single cable and that annoyingly doesn’t support computer connectivity, so if users want to transfer files to their devices, they have to purchase an additional wire or adapter. However, these accessories aren’t cheap, so customers veer towards the more affordable, third-party cables readily available on marketplaces, such as Amazon and eBay, but that’s not a good thing. Many consumers have reported that these chargers have caused harm to their handsets, so Google Engineer Benson Leung has taken it upon himself to purchase a selection of Type-C connectors from Amazon to test and see if they meet the standard specifications for use on his Nexus device. So far, Leung has been through seven cables and clai...