Skip to main content

Launch HN: Py (YC S17) – Learn to Code on the Go http://ift.tt/2rsdDyt

Launch HN: Py (YC S17) – Learn to Code on the Go Hey HN! I’m Derek of Py ( http://ift.tt/2sAyOyf ). Py is an education app for iOS and Android that teaches topics like app development, building websites and data science. We're in the current YC batch. My co-founder Will and I have been friends since high school. We've been frustrated for a long time with the way existing learning platforms teach coding. They tend to be one-size-fits-all solutions that don't make learning to code a fun experience. Also, most platforms don't personalize content based on a user's prior skill level or behavior within the product. We think personalizing content is key. We customize the content that users see and make it game-like to encourage people to spend more time on concepts they’re struggling with. We also believe that interactivity is super important. Rather than passively watching a video, we want users to engage with the content. I’ve found from personal experience that I’ll watch an EdX video thinking I understand what they’re saying, only to discover later that I’m struggling on a quiz about the exact same concepts I thought I had learned. When we first launched Py on the App Store about one year ago, it was named Pythonic because it only taught Python. Over the summer, we expanded to teach more programming languages and shortened the name to Py. While finishing up our last year of college we iterated on the product, developing more interaction types to make learning more engaging, and building more courses. Excited to discuss mobile edtech and teaching people how to code! Also, we're quite curious to hear about your preferred way of learning... June 14, 2017 at 10:27PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Google Engineer is reviewing all USB Type-C chargers on Amazon to inform customers which ones are safe for use on their devices

The USB Type-C take over has already started, and as this year comes to an end, we expect to see a few more smartphones and tablets hit the market bundling compatibility for the third-generation connection. As it stands, handsets that currently feature Type-C ports only ship with a single cable and that annoyingly doesn’t support computer connectivity, so if users want to transfer files to their devices, they have to purchase an additional wire or adapter. However, these accessories aren’t cheap, so customers veer towards the more affordable, third-party cables readily available on marketplaces, such as Amazon and eBay, but that’s not a good thing. Many consumers have reported that these chargers have caused harm to their handsets, so Google Engineer Benson Leung has taken it upon himself to purchase a selection of Type-C connectors from Amazon to test and see if they meet the standard specifications for use on his Nexus device. So far, Leung has been through seven cables and clai...