Skip to main content

Show HN: The best time to visit any city http://ift.tt/2x9LsDB

Show HN: The best time to visit any city I wanted to build a tool to help people decide when and where to travel . As I started building, I realized that "when" and "where" need separate treatment to be most useful. The map tool handles "where" best: http://ift.tt/2vVBhUQ Clicking through each week would be frustrating for those who know where they want to travel but not when. For these people I built "best time to travel" pages using the same data. http://ift.tt/2xa4bz6 My hope is this site will help travelers plan. This data is taken from the National and Atmospheric Administration's global summaries of the day (NOOA's GSoD). I used an SQL database to crunch the numbers into monthly and weekly averages by station. For the "best time" pages I used and calculated several more variables. I then imported the data into Tableau and added the filters you see on the map. I also used data from the State Department regarding travel advisories. Would love your thoughts! The whole buildout was a solo project, but I owe Ryan Whitacker a big "thank you" for his guidance. He built a similar tool on his site ( http://ift.tt/2rXr7hQ ) in April, and was generous to offer me guidance for expanding upon his idea. Known issues: * I am aware that the map is bad on mobile, so my next step is to improve the mobile experience. August 22, 2017 at 10:54PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Google Engineer is reviewing all USB Type-C chargers on Amazon to inform customers which ones are safe for use on their devices

The USB Type-C take over has already started, and as this year comes to an end, we expect to see a few more smartphones and tablets hit the market bundling compatibility for the third-generation connection. As it stands, handsets that currently feature Type-C ports only ship with a single cable and that annoyingly doesn’t support computer connectivity, so if users want to transfer files to their devices, they have to purchase an additional wire or adapter. However, these accessories aren’t cheap, so customers veer towards the more affordable, third-party cables readily available on marketplaces, such as Amazon and eBay, but that’s not a good thing. Many consumers have reported that these chargers have caused harm to their handsets, so Google Engineer Benson Leung has taken it upon himself to purchase a selection of Type-C connectors from Amazon to test and see if they meet the standard specifications for use on his Nexus device. So far, Leung has been through seven cables and clai...